Environmental Resource Assessment & Management
We apply science to address challenges affecting the nation’s natural resources.
About This Service
CSS provides science-based analysis of the environmental, economic, human health, and social factors that affect ecosystems. We conduct empirical and model-based research at multiple spatial and temporal scales. We develop recommendations and tools for researchers, industry, communities, and managers. Our work contributes to informed decision making for the responsible use, conservation, restoration, and preservation of natural resources.
Our multidisciplinary teams apply their expertise to freshwater, coastal, marine, and terrestrial ecosystems. They:
- Collect samples and data in situ, via GIS and remote sensing technologies, and through partnerships
- Conduct research on the impacts of chemicals and other environmental stressors
- Develop comprehensive environmental resource maps and characterizations
- Conduct complex spatial analyses and predictive modeling
- Assess social and economic drivers and impacts
- Develop regulatory documentation including Strategic Environmental Assessments (SEA) and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and Statements (EIS)
- Develop and conduct training, communications, and outreach on environmental resource management tools and datasets
- Provide comprehensive data management, integration, and data products and tools
- Conduct policy analysis and program management
Our Focus Areas:
- Ocean ecosystems—benthic, deep sea, and shallow water
- Corals and coral reefs
- Coastal Zone management
- Marine mammals
- Harmful algal blooms
- Environmental indicators
- Coastal aquaculture
- Offshore windfarms
- Marine debris
- Fisheries health and impacts
- Agricultural impacts
- Groundwater quality
- Stream function and duration
- Soil remediation
- Wildfire impacts
- Water contamination
- Carbon storage and cycling
- Microplastics and nanoparticles
- Transgenic plant impacts
- Restoration impacts
Biogeographic Assessment of the Main Hawaiian Islands (MHI)
CSS compiled and visualized data showing the distribution of habitats and marine organisms, to establish a baseline for assessing and monitoring potential environmental impacts from renewable energy projects.
Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)
We provide site-specific in situ monitoring coupled with predictive modeling, to provide an early warning system to advise health officials and resource managers on how to best focus their efforts to protect health and environment.
Predictive Modeling/Spatial Planning, NY Bight
CSS designed and implemented this integrated data acquisition, data management, and statistical predictive modeling to select optimal wind farm locations while minimally impacting seabirds.
Analytical Chemistry Support for the US EPA National Aquatic Resource Survey
CSS chemically analyzes hundreds of water samples collected annually from the US EPA’s National Aquatic Resource Survey (NARS), a critical contribution to the EPA assessments of the condition of the nation’s water bodies.
Real-time HABs Detection and Modeling
We develop and deploy the sensors and monitor in real-time, HABs activities to support immediate response.
Get in Touch
Contact us to learn more about our Environmental Resource Assessment & Management service area.