Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
About This Service
Federal agencies rely on CSS’ expertise to prepare for and respond to disasters, catastrophic events, and contaminated sites across the country. We have continuously supported federal emergency and environmental response contracts since 1989.
We help agencies plan for and respond to hazardous material and hazardous waste incidents, including contaminants of concern, chemical warfare agents, pathogens, and other chemical, biological, radioactive, and nuclear (CBRN) hazards.
Our scientists, engineers, and technicians integrate ongoing technical research with field-based experience to advance new methods and technologies.
What we do:
- Planning and delivering training and exercises
- Developing technical guidance documents, sample plans, and SOPs
- Operating and maintaining fixed and mobile analytical laboratories
- Supporting personnel and area decontamination for CBRN incidents
- Calculating Human Health Reference Values (HHRV)
- Biomonitoring for toxin exposure
- Activity-based sampling at hazardous sites
- Overseeing and enhancing removal actions at contaminated sites
- Testing and demonstrating field technologies, procedures, and equipment
- Managing and validating large analytical, field, and research data sets
- Handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous and universal wastes
- Providing on-site technical support and coordination with first responders
- Detecting and identifying chemical and biological agents at large public events
Procedures, Plans, and Training to Support Emergency Response
CSS provided health and safety, field, and analytical support for EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division.
Response at Contaminated Sites and Natural Disasters Nationwide
On-Site Support for EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM) – CSS provides expert technical guidance and field support at hazardous and contaminated sites, including sites under the Superfund program.
Quick Response Guides for Emergency Response
CSS prepares tactical, field, and quick response guides used by EPA OSCs and other first responders to address a wide range of contaminants.
Analytical Support for the Drinking Water Emergency in Hawaii
In response to the Red Hill Drinking Water Emergency, CSS staff mobilized on Christmas Day to set up mobile laboratory assets to analyze drinking water samples and confirm that the drinking water in residential homes was safe for human consumption.
Guiding Wildfire Response and Recovery
CSS supports communities following catastrophic wildfires to ensure that items discarded during site cleanup are properly identified, sorted, and sent to an appropriate disposal facility.
Get in Touch
Contact us to learn more about our Emergency Preparedness & Response service area.