Analytical Chemistry Support for the US EPA National Aquatic Resource Survey
CSS chemically analyzes hundreds of water samples collected annually from the US EPA’s National Aquatic Resource Survey (NARS), a critical contribution to the EPA assessments of the condition of the nation’s water bodies.
Our support of the EPA’s National Aquatic Resource Surveys (NARS) provides a significant example of our experience with the chemical analysis of water samples. NARS is a large collaborative program between EPA, states and tribes to conduct a statistically-based survey of the status of the nation’s waters. The nation’s lakes, rivers and streams, wetlands and coastal waters are sampled iteratively over a five-year period. Over forty-five states participate in the program. The EPA generates an assessment report of the environmental condition of the water bodies sampled in a given year. The chemistry data we provide is a major component of that determination. Key highlights of our support for NARS are included below.
- Provided analytical chemistry support for NARS since its inception in 2007 and analyzed 850-1050 water samples a year for the program.
- Analyzed 12 to 23 chemical constituents annually depending on the water bodies being sampled in a particular year (e.g., coastal waters, lakes, rivers), including nitrate, nitrite and total phosphorus.
- Completed analyses following a strict schedule of sample hold times.
- Prepared comprehensive database of results and QC/QA data for the EPA.
- Prepared and maintained an EPA-approved laboratory quality assurance plan and 20 EPA-approved SOPs.
- Documented analytical performance for NARS work in annual updates of Data Quality Summary Report (DQSR)
- Managed and cross-trained staff to meet analytical, sample load, and technical expertise requirements
- Maintained staff competency based on results of multiple proficiency testing studies; peer review of calibration, sample, and QC data; and critique of control charts.
Plant Water Management in Microgravity
CSS was selected by NASA through its REMIS contract to serve as payload developer, performing mission integration and operations to advance the fundamental research to a higher Technology Readiness Level.
Decontamination Field Tests for EPA
CSS staff helped design, plan for, and implement field tests of decontamination technologies and methods using MB for EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division.
Fentanyl and Fentanyl Analogs Fact Sheet
EPA tasked CSS to prepare a Quick Response Guide for first responders on the dangerous drug Fentanyl.
Our IT solutions meet clients’ evolving needs.
Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
Human Health Risk Assessment
We help advance the understanding of chemical effects on people and the environment.
Earth & Space Science Support & Operations
We deliver scientific support to advance our clients’ research goals.
Environmental Resource Assessment & Management
We apply science to address challenges affecting the nation’s natural resources.
Safety, Health, & Environmental
We provide our clients with tools to protect their workforce, the public, and the environment.
Satellite Data Applications
Helping create a more environmentally sustainable, weather-ready, and secure nation through application of earth observation data
Get in touch
Contact us to learn more about our projects, capabilities, solutions, and service offerings.